What is Baby Yoga?
Baby yoga is not “yoga” in the traditional sense.
Baby yoga enhances a playful interaction and communication between parent and baby with stretching, parent-guided movements, holds and relaxation in a safe and structured way in a class or as a one to one.
Babies practice yoga postures naturally as part of their development, however Rubba-Bubba baby yoga classes combine a gentle and structured approach to yoga with age-appropriate movements, holds and stretches that help parents and babies bond, promotes a physical, mental and emotional development and well being. To participate in our baby yoga classes they must be at least 6 weeks old or 8-10 weeks for mothers with sections.
This is not a parent and baby yoga but there are some gentle ‘mama moves’’ and Mama and me mindfulness in each baby yoga session.
The Types of Yoga
There are 7 types of yoga. Baby yoga is based on Hatha yoga. Hatha yoga has developed in the western world into a style of yoga that is widely practiced.Hatha Yoga is described as beginner or gentle or easy yoga with a focus on alignment of physical and mental beneﬁts of each pose. This makes Hatha yoga the perfect choice for a novice yogi and foundations for baby yoga.
Hatha classes provide an opportunity to stretch, unwind, and release tension, which provides a good combination of cardio workouts to unite and balance the body and mind.
The benefits of regular baby yoga:
- Improves the special parent-baby bond especially for parents going back to work
- It can be a great way for partners, grandparents and siblings to bond and relax with the newest addition to the family ·
- Eﬀectively reduces symptoms of colic, painful wind & constipation
- Helps stimulate and support baby’s circulation, digestion, learning & language development.
- Encourages baby to sleep better & for sustained periods
- Improves learning and social development
- Aids balance, coordination, gross motor skills and strength
- Improves muscle development, ﬂexibility and free movement
- Raises levels of the ‘feel-good’ hormone oxytocin in both parent and baby aiding a feeling of calm and relaxation.
- Promotes a secure and trusting attachment between baby and parent
- And most importantly – is a fun activity for both parent & baby
- Boosts self-esteem & conﬁdence
- Positive interaction with their baby
- Helps you become more conﬁdent in handling your baby
- Promotes relaxation, reduces stress and anxiety
- Is quality time with your new baby
Stage 1 Baby Yoga
Stage 1 Baby Yoga is suitable from 8 weeks old. This is a gentle and relaxing class which makes a great first class with you new bubs.
Stage 2 Baby Yoga
Stage 2 Baby Yoga is suitable from 4 months old, specially adapted for the busier baby. The class is full of songs, rhymes, sensory and learning, inline with their developmental milestones. Such a fun class!
Immunisations and Baby Yoga
Baby immunisations are at week 8, 12 and 16 unless unwell. When our baby yoga class and immunisations clash in the same week, assure the parents that as long as the baby is well and fever free they are still very welcome to attend the class. This is at your discretion. If you do miss a class, a recorded online class can be emailed to you, you can refer to the handout booklet and we can recap some of the moves from the week before.
Mama and Me Mindfulness
- Mindfulness will help you learn how to pay attention to what matters in your life and your child’s life.
- Learn how to not take things personally
- Speak more purposefully (and teach you how to not react when everything is driving you crazy)
- Improve sleep
- Regulate your emotions
- Increase your happiness and wellbeing